Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas part 2

When I was growing up I am always reminded of the many christmases I have had with my grandparents, parents, my two sisters, aunts & uncles, and all my cousins. Even though I grew up in the Jewish religion, there were some of my family on both sides that celebrated christmas. From the very first christmas that I remember celebrating I was about six or seven years old, and my sister Leona was about five or six years old. One of the gifts that my sister and I had received a doll-house that was made of tin or metal, with plastic furniture for the doll-house. Well, my sister Leona and I felt like that the doll-house needed more decorations for the doll-house, so, we toll some silver tinsel of the christmas tree and decorated the doll-house with tinsel. Our mother was a little frustrated, because we were making a mess all over the living room floor, but we had fun decorating the doll-house with tinsel. Mom wasn't too mad at us, because it was a wood floor. This remberance took place in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

As I was going through some books I found a few christmas stories that will help with finding the true meaning and the spirit of Christmas. The stories will come in parts each day. But, first, a little something from the bible and a question.

Isaiah 7:14-Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Who told Mary that she would have a baby? Answer read Luke 1:26-33 in the New Testament of the bible.

Now on with the stories. The First story that I found online last year, will begin with: "True Meaning of Christmas"

Just a week before Christmas I had a vistor. This is how it happened. I just finished the household chores for the night and was preparing to go to bed, when I heard a noise in the front of the house. I opened the door to the front room and to my surprise, Santa himself stepped out next to the fireplace. "What are you doing?" I started to ask. The words choked up in my throat and I saw he had tears in his eyes. His usual jolly manner was gone. Gone was the eager, boisterous soul we all know. He then answered me with a simple statement....
"TEACH THE CHILDREN!" I was puzzled. What did he mean? He anticipated my question and with one quick movement brought forth a miniature toy bag from behind the tree. As I stood bewildered, Santa said, "Teach the children! Teach them the old meaning of Christmas. The meaning that now-a-days Christmas has forgotten. "Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a FIR TREE and placed it before the mantle. "Teach the children that pure green color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, depicting the everlasting hope of mankind, all the needles point heavenward, making it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward heaven. (To be continued tomorrow).

The second story is coming from a book called "My Treasury of Christmas Stories," and the First out of the book will be "The First Christmas." "Retold from Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 2:9-12."

Our story begins in old Nazareth, where a young maiden, Mary, was to marry Joseph. But one day the angel Gabriel appeared saying to Mary, "There is nothing to be feared. You have been chosen to bear God's son. His name will be Jesus. He will save everyone." Mary was worried. What would Joseph say if she was with child on their wedding day? But Gabriel gave Joseph the wondrous news that she bore God's son, the King of the Jews. So Mary and Joseph were happily married, and awaited the child that sweet Mary carried. (To be continued tomorrow).

Now it is your turn, do any of you a have a childhood rememberance of a christmas past, or have a story about the true meaning of christmas or the spirit of christmas. If so do share it.

Love,

Sara McMurdie

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to share memories and Christmas Stories. I loved the graphics also! One of my memories from Christmas is that my mom would always put the orange and chapstick and little things in our stockings before Christmas. We were old enough at that point to tease her about putting things inside the stockings early, but she said she was afraid if she waited that she would forget. The stockings were on our stairs and on Christmas morning we would look at the stuff and get into them while we waited for my parents because we weren't allowed to go see what Santa brought before my parents came down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memory of christmas was giving my brother coal in his stocking...

    ReplyDelete